Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Ancestors and Elder Corbridge visit January 27, 2016

Hey everybody here's a quick update of what's going on with me the past week or so:

These past few days we have had the opportunity and the blessing to have Elder Lawrence Corbridge of the 1st Presidency of the Quorum of the Seventy and his wife with our mission. It started with a special MLC on Sunday night and then 2 mega zone conferences on Monday and Tuesday.
Front Row: Sister Corbridge, Elder Corbridge, President Snow and Sister Snow.  
Me with Elder Thorne and sister training leaders in the back:)
While Elder Corbridge was here I had the chance to be interviewed personally by him and get some 1-on-1 time. He is probably the most intelligent person ever with the scriptures. One question I posed to him in my interview was "how can I avoid temptation after my mission?" and without delay he responded with D&C 45:57:
"For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived--verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day."
Here are a couple of other things I learned from him these past few days:
    * The bad news is that the Lord requires everything. Our time, talents, and interests. The good news is that the Lord only requires everything.
   *D&C 64
33 Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.

Greatness is the compilation of many small things done well. Day after day, obedience after obedience, workout after workout (Spiritual or Physical). 

Last Wednesday was the Worldwide Missionary Broadcast for all of the missionaries throughout the world. We were able to hear from a few of the apostles (Anderson, Bednar, Oaks) and others from the Missionary Executive Council.  It was titled "Teach Repentance and Baptize Converts." I loved it because all of the talks and trainings were on the 8 fundamentals of missionary work or from the Missionary Guide Preach My Gospel. It's all about the fundamentals for whatever we do in life! 

I also was able to go on exchanges with Elder Chambers this past week! I'm so grateful for the mission and the friendships we develop because of it! I can't wait to watch him play at BYU after the mission!

So I have become quite fascinated with my ancestor named Thomas Sirls Terry. A member from a Ward I formerly served in is a descendant of him also and gave me a huge book with all of Thomas and his family's history.  Here are a couple of my favorite Thomas Sirls Terry quotes from his journal:

"When famine and starvation stared me in the face, and hunger had so weakened my mortal frame, that when at my labor I would have to sit down to rest in order to gain strength... still I hung on to my faith and integrity in the Lord ... and when a mist of darkness had darkened the horizon of truth and when the prophets of God, who were slain for the testimony which they bore, by the wicked friends of hell, and when destruction seemed to the total overthrow of the whole church, my faith was still in the Lord, and would serve the God of Israel and would never let anything shake me from my firm position in the commandments of Christ. Therefore, my dear children, let nothing of an evil nature persuade you from a righteous course through life, and always carry out your righteous decrees and be firm in your determination."

"I was a Mormon, and was determined to gather with the Saints. Although it was critical times with the Saints as they were driven from Nauvoo the year before, the church was on the move, and they had no home, and more than this, but a very few friends. But their God was my God and if they died, I could die with them."

I'm grateful for the spiritual strength we get by learning about our ancestors!

Elder Faldmo 

No comments:

Post a Comment